[CentOS] Best way to duplicate a live Centos 5 server?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 17:35:20 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Cal Sawyer <cal-s at blue-bolt.com> wrote:

> ReaR has suddenly become very interesting to me, probably explaining why
> it utterly fails to work properly (for me).I'm using 1.13 to pull a
> USB-based recovery image, but there's an error in the
> backup/NETFS/default/50_make_backup.sh script that doesn't mount the USB
> device after the mkrecovery step, so subsequent tar fails on write to
> the non-existent mountpoint. I fixed that, but on recovery it fails to
> mount the necessary directories on the restore drive as well, so "rear
> recover" quickly bombs out. Is anyone having any success actually using
> ReaR on CentOS 6.x? - csawyer

It intentionally doesn't deal with drives the kernel has marked as
removable.   I had trouble with that with the main drives on a SAS
hotswap backplane in an earlier version but I think that is fixed now.

I'd recommend asking how to override this on the ReaR mail list.
While the code seems usable (and yes, I have succeeded in using it on
Centos 6x.), the documentation either doesn't exist yet or is very out
of date.   But, the authors are very responsive and it would be good
to let them know about any bugs or usability problems.  The mail list
is still at sourceforge although the code has been moved to github and
there is talk of moving the list elsewhere.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com