[CentOS] vlc?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Jun 18 20:00:53 UTC 2012

Tom,

   Please don't top post.

Tom Bishop wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 2:23 PM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>>
>>   a co-worker raves that vlc is the bestestplaysthemostformats media
>> player there is, including being able to resize videos. I see it's only
>> over on repoforge for CentOS, but trying to install it at home (I'm
>> running 5.8, 32-bit), it wants about 30 or more dependencies, and one
>> or two of them, of course, have conflicts.
>>
>>   Has anyone installed it in a 5.x environment? If so, what did you do?

> I think you may want to look at getting it from repo like rpmforge
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/RPMForge
>
> might want to make sure if you want to start using a third party repo that
> you install priorities and understand how it works ;)

I think you didn't read all of what I asked: none of the std. repos for
CentOS have it (nor for 6.2); it seems to be at repoforge, yes, I do know
how to add another repo, and the problem is the dependencies of
dependencies.

I was *hoping* that either a) someone had a workaround to let me install
it, or b) had another repo source that might have fewer dependencies.

       mark