[CentOS] CentOS 6.2-x86-64

Nate Duehr denverpilot at me.com
Wed Jun 20 20:56:50 UTC 2012

On Jun 20, 2012, at 1:59 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> I found a yumex, which is not part of the 64 bit install, but it wants a
> way older version of python-2.4 whereas we have 2.6.6-something after the
> post install upgrade.
>
> 1st Question:
> Is there anything that can be done about this?  Or is there something
> better, like a 64 bit synaptic to replace yumex?

You may be unfamiliar with CentOS in that many tools you might find "standard" on regular distros, aren't part of the upstream package list for "Enterprise" Linux.  As delivered from upstream, it's a fairly "stripped" distro.

Yumex is not packaged by upstream, so it's not part of CentOS proper.

However, there are repositories that build packages to run under CentOS which aren't part of upstream or CentOS, such as EPEL:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

yumex in particular, if you're partial to it, is available in various flavors, all ready to install.

> Mail problem:
>
> I've been using a fetchmail -> procmail system here for years to unload
> kmail from its mail pulling duties, making it many times easier to use.
>
> Adjuncts to that are spamassassin, clamav, and mailfilter
>
> There appears not to be any 64 bit builds of clamav and mailfilter.

Many 32-bit packages run just fine on 64-bit CentOS via the use of 32-bit libraries.

A quick look through a machine that has both stock CentOS software repositories and EPEL enabled shows that there are packages for all of the above, except mailfilter.  Mailfilter appears to be somewhat Debian-centric and the Debian-distro-derivatives all seem to have updated packages.  I've never used it, even though I'm a fan of both "camps" for various things.

Looking it over, it looks like it utilizes POP to go take a look at mail and dump spam prior to the POP transfer of whatever is left over?  Honestly, most folks have moved on to IMAP, long ago... IMHO.  YMMV.

The advent of large data pipes, even in residential service in most areas, and effective local filtering probably means that mailfilter is marginalized non-mainstream software, at best, these days.

Doing some quick Googling, mailfilter doesn't seem very popular at all with the RedHat-derivative camp.  The only distro that seems to have ever had it pre-packaged is Mandriva.  You might look at whatever changes they made to make their x86_64 package.  It's not in Fedora either...

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/list/m*?_csrf_token=1320052a8a44a38e84b472e63f9cba4db006ea38

Nate