[CentOS] reinventing the wheel? page checker

Kahlil Hodgson kahlil.hodgson at dealmax.com.au
Fri Jun 22 01:34:49 UTC 2012

On 22/06/12 07:59, Bob Hoffman wrote:
> On 6/21/2012 12:44 PM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Jun 2012, Bob Hoffman wrote:
>>
>>> To: CentOS at centos.org
>>> From: Bob Hoffman<bob at bobhoffman.com>
>>> Subject: [CentOS] reinventing the wheel? page checker
>>>
>>> Not sure if there is an app like this yet.
>>> I want to keep tabs on my web applications and thought of using a 'page
>>> checker'/
>> *snip*
>>
>>> Anything out there like that?
>> http://www.changedetection.com/
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Keith

If its a security thing, you probably want an host based IDS.

My current favourite is

Samhain (http://la-samhna.de/samhain/)

It is a little tricky to set up initially -- you have to read all the
documentation first and compile it specifically for your target (it is
aggressively paranoid) -- but it can be configured to use multiple
logging channels, it knows about ACls and SELinux contexts, and version
3 uses inotify so resource impact is minimal.  Also can be configured to
just look at your web root and ignore your uploads directory.

Kal
--
Kahlil (Kal) Hodgson                       GPG: C9A02289
Head of Technology                         (m) +61 (0) 4 2573 0382

Suite 1415
401 Docklands Drive
Docklands VIC 3008 Australia

"All parts should go together without forcing.  You must remember that
the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you.  Therefore,
if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason.  By all
means, do not use a hammer."  -- IBM maintenance manual, 1925