[CentOS] Python version fights.

Chris Geldenhuis chris.gelden at iafrica.com
Sun Jun 24 06:37:13 UTC 2012

On 06/24/2012 02:47 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greets;
>
> This centos6.2 system seems to have python-2.6.6, but that is turning into
> a huge problem because I now have a backlog of about 40 packages that will
> not upgrade because they all need python 2.4.
>
> That, and importing gpg keys doesn't seem to be helping in that regard.
>
> But first, how to go about down grading python to 2.4?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cheers, Gene
Hi Gene,

Down grading to Python 2.4 will break your CentOS 6.2 system. Rather
install python 2.4 side by side with 2.6 and
point the packages that need to use 2.4 to it by changing the first line
in the scripts to #!/usr/bin/python2.4 instead of #!/usr/bin/python.

I have had to do this the other way around on CentOS nad Red Hat 4
systems where I needed newer features and it work well.

The instructions on how to do this are included in the tarball
downloaded from the Python site.

ChrisG