[CentOS] Python version fights.

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Jun 24 12:40:52 UTC 2012

On Sunday 24 June 2012 07:25:21 Veli-Pekka Kestilä did opine:

> On 24.6.2012 10:12, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > This is not something that is available via yum?
> >
> > In which case why do I have 30 or 40 packages that are being called
> > security updates, released in the last week, that still need the older
> > python?  Something  doesn't grok here.  Like maybe I have the wrong
> > repos enabled?
> >
> > Maybe, a yum repolist says rpmfusion is for el5, maybe that is what I
> > need to fix.  How?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> Remove your old rpmfusion repository package for el5, and follow the
> instruction in http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration/ to install the new
>  one.
Attempting that get this in an error box:
The name org.freedesktop.PackageKit was not provided by any .service files

But I believe it did download the file(s).
However, doing the command line version also threw some errors:
Revealing that the epel is set for 5.4. Hard to find the correct linkage
instructs, they are quite a few entries down from the top google hits when
searching.

Its an hour later, and I have installed and renamed the rpmnew's, even
nuked a few packages it downloaded but couldn't install, and on a restart,
yum is still showing me 21 packages to update, all from an el5 repo.  There
is not any file surviving in yum.repos.d that contains a reference to el5,
so where is that cache being held so I can nuke it?

Thanks.

> After that you should remove all el5 packages which were installer from
> rpmfusion for el5.
>
> -vpk

The only file that had an el5 mark was adobe's flash plugin, which didn't
work in konqerer anyway, so I changed the pref to firefox because it did
work there.  But I had yum nuke it anyway.

Thanks & Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My web page: offline
From a certain point onward there is no longer any turning back.