[CentOS] Python version fights.

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 01:42:18 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 7:48 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

>> > I see what someone meant when they said centos was a stripped mostly
>> > server distro.

I'd say it is sort of gnome-oriented, but there is plenty of desktop stuff now.

>> > With the
>> > same config files installed here on centos6, nfs is dead, no hits, no
>> > runs & no errors logged.
>>
>> CentOS/RHEL make you start services explicitly instead of enabling
>> anything by default. Are both portmap and nfs running?

Firewalls?   Iptables starts with some restrictive rules.

> No clue at this time.  IMO the 64 bit scene is just as broken as it was 3
> years ago when I had a 64 bit version intended for AMD (Phenom quad core
> here) installed for about 2 hours.

Details?   I haven't seen any 64-bit issues at all in 6.x.   32-bit
libs aren't always included like they were in 5.x so if you are
copying in some unpackaged 32-bit binaries you might have to install
some library support explicitly.

> If I was to do a clean install, it would sure be 32 bit.

Why?  Anything current should have 64-bit versions available or work
from source builds on 64-bit.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com