[CentOS] RAID?

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Mon Jun 25 15:40:44 UTC 2012

On 6/23/2012 12:15 AM, Digimer wrote:

> Software RAID? If you have two or more disks, yes.

There's no requirement that if you have two disks, they have to be
RAIDed together.  I frequently build systems with /dev/sda being a lone
SATA disk for the OS and apps, with /dev/sdb being a hardware RAID for
the real data the system manages.  Another pattern I've used is a small
CF card for the core OS, and /usr, /home and other bulk users of storage
off on a second spinning disk.

A better test is probably "mount | grep md".

Then there's the LVM option, but I can't immediately come up with a
one-liner that tells you whether a given LVM disk set is equivalent to
software RAID.

And then we can get into more exotic options like btrfs and zfs which
are also potentially RAID-like, but not necessarily so.