[CentOS] Python version fights.

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Jun 25 18:30:04 UTC 2012

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 06/24/12 5:48 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>   IMO the 64 bit scene is just as broken as it was 3
>> years ago when I had a 64 bit version intended for AMD (Phenom quad core
>> here) installed for about 2 hours.
>
> WHAT is broken about 'the 64 bit scene' ?!?    I have 64 bit Opteron
> systems happily running CentOS 3 in my lab, zero problems related to the
> bitness of them.   These servers and installs are over 5 years old (HP
> DL585, with 4 x Opteron 850 and 8GB ram, new in 2005).
<snip>
I missed the beginning of this thread over the weekend, I guess. However,
I agree: what's broken? I've installed a lot of 64-bit, and I, along with
the other admin and our manager, admin something like 150 servers and
workstations, with folks doing serious scientific computing, and of that,
I think less than a dozen are still 32-bit. All the rest are 64, including
our cluster.

       mark