[CentOS] Question about storage for virtualisation

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Jun 26 17:50:50 UTC 2012

On 06/26/12 9:29 AM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>> As for the guest paritions, I am accustomed of separating my servers
>> >disks with separate /, /usr, /var, /home and /data partitions. I can't
>> >recall today why I started doing this, 15 years ago, but I still like it
>> >that way and continue to do so. Do I still "need" to do this with VMs ?
> I don't believe there's any more or less need to do so.  I would
> strongly recommend that you not segregate / and /usr.  Fedora and future
> versions of RHEL/CentOS will expect a unified / and /usr.

I concur.   I'll definitely put /home on a seperate volume if there's
going to be a need for a large /home (some of my servers have hardly any
/home as there are no interactive users to speak of, others use nfs
mounted /home dirs for interactive logins). /var I'm kind of on the
fence on.   things like postgres, which like to put the databases in
/var/lib/pgsql/x.y/data, I've been recently mounting my dedicated raid10
database volumes as such, so /var itself has very little.   but we all
know spools, logs can grow unexpectedly large, so constraining /var to a
dedicated LV is probably a good idea.