[CentOS] A parted issue

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Fri Jun 29 15:25:55 UTC 2012

We just got in a few server-class drives. They're Seagate Constellations,
3TB. I went to partition and format, and did a mklabel gpt in parted.

Ooops. It claims
 Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
After data sheet that doesn't tell me, and a long wait*, I spoke to a
Seagate tech, who agreed that it *is* 4k physical.

This is CentOS 6.2

Anyone know any way to correct this, or if it's a problem if I manually
align the partition to sector 64, or 1M?

     mark

* Seagate "live chat" announced that it doesn't support my browser
(firefox!!!), only IE, Safari, and chrome. I told the tech of my complaint
and surprise to his manager.....