[CentOS] pam and radius config problem

me at tdiehl.org

Fri Mar 2 14:09:36 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am trying to configure ssh/pam to use freeradius as one of the authentication
sources on a C6 box.

I have freeradius running on a separate box with 2 factor authentication.
Using the radtest utility, I can successfully authenticate. My problem is that
I do not understand how to configure pam to use radius as an auth source and
be sure I am not opening a security hole in my systems.

While googling, I have found several howto's that talk about how to do this
using the pam_radius utility but the examples do not match what is found in
/etc/pam.d/sshd.

What I would like to accomplish is the following:

1. Allow logins using ssh keys.

2. If that fails, Allow login via radius.

3. if not on the local network disallow login via a regular user name and passwd.

I think 3 might be able to be accomplished via a match statement in sshd.conf but
I am not sure.

Does anyone know how to do this in a secure way?

If I start modifying the pam.d configuration files, how can I be sure I am not
opening up a security hole?

Regards,

Tom			me at tdiehl.org		Spamtrap address	 		me123 at tdiehl.org