[CentOS] CentOS 6.2 software raid 10 with LVM - Need help with degraded drive and only one MBR

Tru Huynh tru at centos.org
Fri Mar 2 20:38:12 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 09:03:44AM -0500, Jonathan Vomacka wrote:
> CentOS Community,
>
> I have a dedicated server with 4 hard drives in a RAID 10 software
> configuration running LVM. My OS is CentOS 6.2. Earlier today, I
> rebooted my system and my system did not come back online. I opened a
> ticket with my datacenter who informed me that one of my hard drives is
> no longer recognized by the bios and has failed. I was told that an OS
> reinstall was needed.

how was your disks partitions? and how was the lvm setup?
was /boot made of a mdadm raid1 array?

there is a dracut issue on raid1 array (fixed by now, if you updated
to the latest dracut release and rebuild your initramfs):
http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=5400

Btw the anaconda installer does install grub on the MBR of both raid1 members.
No idea if it does so for lvm over raid10 array.

Tru

--
Tru Huynh (mirrors, CentOS i386/x86_64 Package Maintenance)