[CentOS] CentOS 6.2 software raid 10 with LVM - Need help with degraded drive and only one MBR

Luke S. Crawford lsc at prgmr.com
Mon Mar 5 01:01:04 UTC 2012

> Right.  I was referring to RAID 1.  For a RAID 10, you would have to
> find the proper drive to boot from.  This is why I tend to limit myself
> to RAID 1 in software.  If I need something more complex than that, I
> get a hardware card so the OS just sees it as a single drive and you
> don't have to worry about grub.

When I want to boot off of a raid 10, I first partition the drives
and make a small (like a gigabyte) partition 1, and put the rest of
the space on partition 2.  I do this on all drives, then I create
a raid 1 of sd[abcd]1 for /, and a raid10 of sd[abcd]2 for everything
else.   I've got this config on several tens of servers and it seems
to work okay.