[CentOS] LibreOffice rpm's vs Centos testing repo

Ljubomir Ljubojevic

office at plnet.rs
Mon Mar 5 10:27:41 UTC 2012

On 02/28/2012 09:42 PM, James B. Byrne wrote:

> On Mon, February 27, 2012 12:10, nux at li.nux.ro wrote:
>> Ljubomir Ljubojevic writes:
>>
>>> Those packages do not need to stay in testing repo. All
>>> that is
>>> necessary is for several people use packages from
>>> testing repo and
>>> report that they are working without issues to the
>>> Centos-devel mailing
>>> list in this thread:
>>> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2011-September/008159.html
>>> ,
>>> and packages will be moved to Extras repo.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Several people have tested this successfully. You can even
>> get slightly
>> newer packages from here:
>> http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/libreoffice/el6/x86_64/ that
>> Karanbir hasn't
>> yet got around to putting in testing (there's a *-release
>> rpm there, too).
>> I would advise against using libeoffice.org supplied RPMs
>> at this stage as
>> RHEL are also getting ready to release LO 3.4.5 in EL6
>> that will (hopefully)
>> gracefully upgrade my packages.
>>

> For what it is worth, I am running LibreOffice 3.5.0
> installed from rpms provided by the document foundation
> and having no troubles with write or calc. I do not really
> use the other parts so on those I cannot comment.
>
> In fact, the experience is far better than I had with
> OpenOffice-3.3, which was so bad I went back to the 3.2
> version provided with CentOS.

I have been having OpenOffice 3.2 for EL 5.x in my repo since it's
release, by unpacking it in my repo folder, but I think desktop
integration needed some work.

It is much easier to install on several systems from repository. And I
created virtual packages to install localized environment that pulls all
packages I wanted. And update is much simpler from repository, that is
why I am trying to force people to use it that way so we can move it to
regular repository.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)