[CentOS] md raid 10

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 22:06:13 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 3:23 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

>>> a) You think I, or a *lot* of other folks, are going to do that at home?
>>>       (Please - I'm trying to get my fiancee to at *least* go from
>>>        *shudder* Vista to Win7)
>>
>> If you leave them on, add up the power cost of running an old box for
>> years.
>
> Sorry, that doesn't work either: *everything* new seems to need a lot more
> power than the older stuff. Certainly, last time I upgraded my own system,
> I had to buy one that was 150% the power of the old one.

That was probably before power became a big thing for servers - in
most cases now power and cooling are the limiting factors for
expansion in a data center.  Most of the new servers use 2.5" drives
and while they might still use as much power per 1u of space due to
using more blades in a chassis or having more CPUs and RAM, we get
much more performance from the same space and power consumption.
It's not such a big deal for desktops, but you can get small low power
systems if you look around - or just use a laptop that will sleep when
you close the lid.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com