[CentOS] md raid 10

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 13:03:44 UTC 2012

On Mar 7, 2012, at 7:48 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs> wrote:

> We are talking about *software* /boot partition on RAID1! that can have
> any number of member partitions. And the rest of the disk here discussed
> is *software* "mdraid RAID10" with 1,2,3,4,... member partitions, not
> regular hardware RAID1+0!!

I think that line of discussion started when someone mentioned their Ubuntu with grub2 can do mdraid10 whole disk, /boot whatever.

Of course with whole disk or /boot mdraid10, you don't know which of the 4 drives (besides the first) is bootable (mdraid10 distributes copies), so you'll need to add MBR and grub to all 4 and swap them around until it booted.

In a 4 disk mdraid10 setup, even with grub2, the best method is still /boot as a 4 disk mdraid1 so any of the 4 can boot. Though you only need grub on the first two, cause if they are both out so is the mdraid10.

-Ross