[CentOS] md raid 10

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Mar 8 20:25:30 UTC 2012

On 03/08/12 11:51 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> I'm sorry, but to me, the above is a non sequitur. I was talking about how
> much power the servers drink, and that the UPSs that I have can barely,
> barely handle half as many or less, and I'm running out of UPSs, and out
> of power outlets for them in such a small space (that is, a dozen or so in
> each rack), without trying to go halfway across the room.

yes, you have to budget power and A/C as part of a server upgrade.
ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

anyways, the CPU link you sent was a 12 core, so I guess you upgraded
from a fairly low power 2 socket Intel (said Dell PE1950) to a rather
HIGH power 4 socket AMD (those are 120W each CPU chips, never mind the
rest of the infrastructure, like I bet you have way over 2X the RAM in
those new boxes).

so yes, if you replaced N 2 socket servers with the same number N of 4
socket servers, and went from 8 to 48 cores each, of COURSE you're
drawing more power.    you have about 6 times the CPU capacity (assuming
the cores are equivalent MIPS, often newer cores are more efficient at
the same clockspeed than older ones).   Most of the Xeon 5300 series in
those PE1950s were 80 watt each (only the 2.67 and 3.0Ghz were 120W)