[CentOS] HT (Hyper Threading) on CentOS 5.5

Sorin Srbu sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Fri Mar 9 07:44:53 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of fred smith
Sent: den 9 mars 2012 07:17
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] HT (Hyper Threading) on CentOS 5.5

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 11:15:29AM +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do we need HT enabled on CentOS release 5.5 (Final) and Kernel Version :-
> 2.6.18-194.el5

I don't think it harms anything to have it enabled, and there may be
some small performance gains in some cases. I'd leave it on.

What are some of the cases it would be practical/best to have it off?

I know there might be some negative performance issues with certain
applications, but would you notice it in day-to-day use?

--
/Sorin