[CentOS] php-pear problem on yum update

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Fri Mar 9 14:10:10 UTC 2012

Hello Nikos,

On Fri, 2012-03-09 at 11:16 +0200, Nikos Gatsis - Qbit wrote:
> I have never Install a package out of yum so this conflict is very
> strange to me.

> I try to clean up yum, and update with --skip-broken with no luck.

The .rf packages come from the Repoforge (formerly RPMForge) repo. The
conflict you see is caused by similar packages being provided by
multiple repos. You can only fix that by excluding them from all but one
repo.

> Is good to install php packages excluding php-pear?
> Actually I dont use it.

The fact that you have so many PEAR packages on your system suggest
someone on your system might be using them. Don't blow them away unless
you want to break existing PHP websites that use them.

All that said, for me the easiest approach managing PEAR packages is
just using PEAR itself to install and update modules. Install the
php-pear rpm once, then exclude it from the updates in your base repo
config.

(If you take this approach yourself make a list of the installed pear
module rpms before you uninstall them with yum. After uninstalling the
rpms you have to reinstall the modules using "pear install".)

Regards,
Leonard.