[CentOS] CentOS Server Backup Options

Scott Walker Scott_Walker at RAMSystemsCorp.com
Mon Mar 12 04:11:38 UTC 2012

I like to have an archive copy of the data for each of the last twelve
months.

I also like to have an archive copy of the data for each of the last 4
years.

That way if any files get accidently deleted, I still have a backup that is
old enough to contain them.

> Tape, and tape drives, have a bad reputation.  They are difficult and time
> consuming to verify.

Indeed I've had lots of trouble with tape drives over the years.  The DAT
drives worked well when they worked but they always seemed to die after 4 or
5 years.  With the small amount of data I have to worry about (in the range
of 25 - 30gb) the time to backup to tape and verify in the middle of the
night is not a factor.