[CentOS] php-pear problem on yum update

Nikos Gatsis - Qbit ngatsis at qbit.gr
Mon Mar 12 14:07:29 UTC 2012

Thank you all for answering
Finally I exclude php-pear for updating.
Leonard you are right, for some reason rpm forge has install some packs
for pear.
I'll leave it as is, I cant afford causing problems. We have a lot of
web pages and databases running so we cant take any risk.

Thank you again

On 09/03/2012 7:00 μμ, centos-request at centos.org wrote:
> Hello Nikos, On Fri, 2012-03-09 at 11:16 +0200, Nikos Gatsis - Qbit
> wrote:
>> >  I have never Install a package out of yum so this conflict is very
>> >  strange to me.
>> >  I try to clean up yum, and update with --skip-broken with no luck.
> The .rf packages come from the Repoforge (formerly RPMForge) repo. The
> conflict you see is caused by similar packages being provided by
> multiple repos. You can only fix that by excluding them from all but one
> repo.
>
>> >  Is good to install php packages excluding php-pear?
>> >  Actually I dont use it.
> The fact that you have so many PEAR packages on your system suggest
> someone on your system might be using them. Don't blow them away unless
> you want to break existing PHP websites that use them.
>
> All that said, for me the easiest approach managing PEAR packages is
> just using PEAR itself to install and update modules. Install the
> php-pear rpm once, then exclude it from the updates in your base repo
> config.
>
> (If you take this approach yourself make a list of the installed pear
> module rpms before you uninstall them with yum. After uninstalling the
> rpms you have to reinstall the modules using "pear install".)
>
> Regards,
> Leonard.

*Γατσής Νίκος - Gatsis Nikos*
Web developer