[CentOS] Cron marks mailto value as UNSAFE

Bob Hoffman bob at bobhoffman.com
Mon Mar 12 21:28:18 UTC 2012

On Mar 12, 2012, at 12:03 PM, James B. Byrne wrote:

>/  CentOS-6.2
/>/
/>/  We moved a cron job from a CentOS-5.7 host to a CentOS-6.2
/>/  host.  The MAILTO variable is set tosupport at harte-lyne.ca  <http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos>
/>/  in  both instances.  On the CentOS-6 host instead of
/>/  receiving the mail with the output we see this in
/>/  /var/log/cron instead:
/>/
/>/  Mar 12 14:49:01 inet09 CROND[6639]: (cron theheart) UNSAFE
/>/  (support at harte-lyne.ca  <http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos>  )
/>/
/>/  The CentOS-5 host uses Sendmail as the MTA, the CentOS-6
/>/  uses Postfix. We can send mail tosupport at harte-lyne.ca  <http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos>
/>/  from the command line on both hosts.
/>/
/>/  The permissions of the files in /var/spool/cron are:
/>/  # ll /var/spool/cron
/>/  total 12
/>/  -rw-------. 1 root root   34 Mar  9 16:41 root
/>/  -rw-------. 1 root root 4245 Mar 12 14:53 theheart
/>/
/>/  Selinux is set to Permissive (for the time being):
/>/
/>/  # sestatus
/>/  SELinux status:                 enabled
/>/  SELinuxfs mount:                /selinux
/>/  Current mode:                   permissive
/>/  Mode from config file:          permissive
/>/  Policy version:                 24
/>/  Policy from config file:        targeted
/>/
/>/  What is causing cron to complain. What is unsafe and how
/>/  do I rectify this?
/----

Not sure if you are just trying to use root or using an alias, but I found several
instances in the manual that said I MUST send root mail to an alias when using certian
aspects of postifx/procmail, etc... something to do with the delivery.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I would try adding
root:<some other user>  in the /etc/aliases file
then run 'newaliases'
then try something.

hope this helps.