[CentOS] postfix and spam, I am impressed

Nataraj incoming-centos at rjl.com
Tue Mar 13 18:22:54 UTC 2012

On 03/13/2012 11:05 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Nataraj <incoming-centos at rjl.com> wrote:
>> Ok, so it wouldn't work to just use the oldest received, but a smarter
>> inspection could check to see weather it actually passed through a
>> server owned by the claimed domain.  The reality is that what is need is
>> to input this into a scoring system weighted with other spam evaluation
>> mechanisms, something like spamassassin.  The downside of spamassasin is
>> that it is costly to run and must be run after the message is accepted
>> by the smtp server.
> MimeDefang runs it as part of its own milter process so you don't
> start a new perl for each message  (and multiplexed so there is not
> necessarily an instance for every mailer process), and at a point
> where you can do an smtp reject based on the content.
>
>> There already exist so many different spam control methods, many of them
>> can run at the smtp level and reject mail prior to accepting.  I get
>> pretty decent rejection from greylisting.
> MimeDefang doesn't do greylisting although the hooks are there if you
> wanted to do it yourself.  But, you can run multiple milters and
> milter-greylist works OK.
>
>> I would look at the milter that Les mentioned.  I haven't had a a chance
>> yet.
> I set up the package from rpmforge a long time ago along with their
> clamav.  I see they are both in epel now - not sure what you would
> have to do to make them work with postfix, though.  I've seen them
> mentioned together on the mimedefang mail list, so someone must be
> doing it.

I run clamav and the greylisting implementation and the spamassasin
interface that's included with vpostmaster. It's not perfect, but it's
all quite nicely coded in python and easy to tweak.  The GUI allows
changing spamassasin, greylisting, clamav parameters on a per user
basis.  Users can also login to the gui and manage their own spam
control.  The database also has designed in, the ability to store per
user configuration for other modules that you might add yourself.  I
will look at MimeDefang.

Nataraj