[CentOS] postfix and spam, I am impressed

Nataraj incoming-centos at rjl.com
Tue Mar 13 18:56:57 UTC 2012

On 03/13/2012 11:28 AM, Tom Bishop wrote:
> Nataraj
>
>  I need something for a very small shop and have been looking...been
> reading the comments.  Is vpostmaster easy to setup and maintain, I'm
> looking for something lightweight and works for spam, I support them after
> hours and looking for something that just works....
Vpostmaster is very easy to setup, provided you start with a clean linux
install (CentOS is good choice).  Don't install it on a system where
you've already installed postfix, dovecot etc.  For a small site it runs
very well in a VM.  A VM is certainly adequate for testing.

 I have done some customization to my config, but I don't really think
that's necessary for most small sites.  It's certainly better then
piecing together all the components yourself.  The install package will
provide you with a working postfix, dovecot, greylisting, clamav,
spamassassin, spf etc and you can always add any additional postfix
compatibile addons. The commercial version is still open source and gets
a few extra features over the free version.  I currently run the free
version, but I like the author and plan to spring for the commercial
version.

http://www.tummy.com/Products/vpostmaster

There are a 2 or 3 alternatives that provide an integrated mail system
based on postfix.  I looked at them a while back and all were less
attractive to me.  I'd have to dig up their names, but one is a package
in the fedora repositories.  I think it's written in java.  Sounded like
a nightmare to me.

Nataraj