[CentOS] mount NFS share over specific nic?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 04:27:37 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Smithies, Russell
<Russell.Smithies at agresearch.co.nz> wrote:
> I suspected some subnetting would be involved but hoped I could get away with different IPs on the nics.
> Might have to get the networking books out, it's not my strong suit  :-(

If you look at network addresses and subnet masks in binary it is easy
to see how routing decisions are made.  But you don't need to do that,
you can just use a subnet chart or stick to /24 ranges where the first
3 octets are different for different subnets and you netmask is
255.255.255.0.    But first you need to decide what you want to do -
will both the server and clients have separate NICs for NFS?  That
makes it easy - use a different range, hook them to a different switch
and you are done.  Bonus, you can restrict the sharing to that set of
addresses for security - and maybe use jumbo frames.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com