[CentOS] Odd thing with Realtek Ethernet card

Devin Reade gdr at gno.org
Fri Mar 16 20:03:49 UTC 2012

--On Friday, March 16, 2012 07:41:18 PM +0000 Ken Smith <kens at kensnet.org>
wrote:

> Hi all, I swapped a Realtek 8139 100M Net Card for a Realtek 8169 Gig
> Net card in a Centos 5.6 system.

Although the 100M versions were passable, I found the GB versions
to be so flakey to be not worth it; I ripped them out and replaced
them with Intel cards, which have been solid.

In my case, I found that under load they would just "go away" ...
become unresponsive and need a power cycle to clear them.  (It
didn't appear to be an autoneg issue.)

In some cases, they didn't get recognised at boot, either, whereas
a subsequent reboot *might* make them come back.

Devin