[CentOS] Odd thing with Realtek Ethernet card

Kahlil Hodgson kahlil.hodgson at dealmax.com.au
Sun Mar 18 22:32:17 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-16 at 19:41 +0000, Ken Smith wrote:
> After reconfiguring the network settings I find that on boot up the 8169
> interface does not start. The startup script says something like "The
> 8169 is not available..."
>
> ifconfig -a shows a device with the right mac address called
> __tmpsomethingorother

The __tmpsomethingoroth names are used by udev to shuffle the device
names (like when you set HWADDR in the conf file). Looks like it saw
enough of the device to start the process but the device "disappeared"
before it could finish.  Had this happen with an onboard Gbit Realteak
NIC that was slowly dying.  Rebooting would sometimes get it to work.
After a week of mucking around with setting HWADRR and writing udev
rules, it eventually died completely.  A new card would have been a lot
cheaper than my time.

Kal