[CentOS] nfslock

Nataraj incoming-centos at rjl.com
Thu Mar 22 20:08:58 UTC 2012

On 03/22/2012 11:54 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 03/22/12 11:50 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> In this case, a more elegant solution would be one that the authors of the
>> initscript should have thought of: they're already checking to see if
>> something's running, why not loop with a sleep until portmap's running?
> they'd have to spawn a detached shell for that, as the rc scripts won't
> continue until the current script returns.

You have to spawn a detached shell anyway weather you do a sleep or
check to see if portmap is running.  If you want to check to see if it's
running, that will certainly work too.  In my case, I used a time delay
because the problem I was having was with named not binding to the vmnet
interfaces because vmware took too long to start.  named needed to start
early on because other daemons were depended on it, but then it needed
to be kicked later so it would bind to the newly created vmnet interface.

Upstart (which was authored by one of the Ubuntu developers) is now part
of CentOS 6.  It attempts to address these issues by allowing you to
define dependencies between upstart scripts.  Unfortunately it's still a
mess in CentOS 6 because a large number of packages still use the old
init scripts.  Furthermore RedHat has decided that they don't like
Upstart and they are going to yet another replacement for upstart in
future releases (sorry, I don't remember the name of it).

Nataraj