[CentOS] wiki - vnc -gerald and walsh, update?

Bob Hoffman bob at bobhoffman.com
Fri Mar 23 03:03:33 UTC 2012

On 3/22/2012 10:26 PM, Bob Hoffman wrote:
> To GeraldClark and PjWelsh,
> I have centos 6 and used your guide to get it going with vnc.
> First of all thanks for putting that up, so many techs told me I did not
> have to install a desktop to make it work and they were so wrong.
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/VNC-Server

so this is what I did in centos 6 tonight to make it work for me...

as root
yum install tigervnc-server
ran vncpasswd, added a password
/etc/sysconfig/vncservers, uncommented line 18 and 19, added root
started and stopped, service vncserver start / stop
opened port 5902 in iptables, restarted iptables
|INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 5902 -j ACCEPT

service vncserver start

downloaded tigervnc from source forge
download putty

in putty I made a saved session called 'vnc to my server'
went to connections, ssh, tunnels in putty explorer
added source port, 5902
destination I put in localhost:5902
click add
then save the whole session (go back to session page)
open a putty session (click open), making sure it was my vnc session
logged into server
opened tigervnc
put in localhost:5902 and hit ok.
I was in like flynn...