[CentOS] your advice on backup procedure

Bent Terp bent at terp.se
Sat Mar 24 05:04:14 UTC 2012

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 2:28 AM, Steven Crothers
<steven.crothers at gmail.com>wrote:

> Snapshot the lvm and rsync it to your house. Then wipe out the snap.
> Seems easiest. Though it won't be the best for things like running
> databases.

How about you lock all tables and flush buffers, then do the snapshot, and
release the lock. Now backup then snapshot and remove it. Shouldn't take
more than a few seconds for the lock-snapshot-release part, and you avoid
the problem of inconsistent data in your db.

In other places, I've seen people do master-slave replication and using
mysqldump on the slave (cuz mysqldump locks tables as well)

BR Bent