[CentOS] Faster and faster

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Mar 27 20:29:07 UTC 2012

On 03/27/2012 03:08 PM, Piero wrote:
> Hi Centos Team,
>
>    I was here the hard days in which CentOS 6 appeared would never
> appear, and then was CentOS 5.6 (maybe 5.7...do not remember well)
> that struggled to see the light and I was very afraid CentOS would not
> survive... but as I was worried in the past actually I'm very
> impressed of the speed of latest releases: what has changed? Just out
> of curiosity...
>
> Thanks for your hard work and great product,
> Bye
> Piero

Several things have changed (we finalized a new build system, we
reworked the alert system to tell developers when a new packages are
available, we have more people with access to build updates for all
releases).

The bottom line for the 6.x series is that we had to develop an all new
build system on all new machines.  This build system had to use only 6.x
machines (which did not yet exist).  We also streamlined and automated
the QA system with the help of the people listed in the bottom of the
5.8 release notes.  Quoting it here again:

"We thank everyone involved for helping us produce this product and
would like to specifically acknowledge the extra effort made by some
very dedicated members of the QA Team. Fabian Arrotin, Akemi Yagi,
Athmane Madjoudj, Manuel Wolfshant, Jeff Sheltren and Anssi Johansson
were instrumental in enabling us to release 5.8 this quickly. "

I can also tell you that I see things getting better in the future.