[CentOS] xorg.conf disappear

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Thu Mar 29 16:14:28 UTC 2012

 <m.roth at ...> writes:

> Lars Hecking wrote:
> > brick writes:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> My system is CentOS 6. I need to edit xorg.conf. But it can't be find in
> >> /etc/X11. Where is it? How can I get the default setting?
> >
> >  /var/log/Xorg.0.log will tell you which configuration Xorg is currently
> >  using, which devices are autodetected etc. If you need to change only
> >  particular parts of the config, you can drop a .conf file with the
> >  corresponding Section into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d.
> <snip>
> The latest, most Wonderful (tm) version of xorg doesn't seem to require
> one - it does it all at boot.
>
> That being said, I think this is a stupid idea. For example, most folks at
> work I know of have two monitors, and I've yet to see any automatic
> do-it-at-boot figure that out.
>
>        mark

Running FC-16 from an external hard disk that I carry back and forth between
home and work.  FC-16 boots just fine on two different laptops each with an
external monitor attached.  On the work system Xorg auto-detects the monitor
configuration and just works.  On my older laptop at home I have to run xrandr
to get it to sort out which display is where.  The work laptop is all Intel
including the video and the home laptop has an AMD CPU and ATI graphics plus the
display geometries are different for both the laptops and the external monitors.

I appreciate that this is with FC-16 instead of CentOS but you may find that the
autoconfiguration will work this well when RHEL/CentOS 7 gets built based on FC.
 It's really nice to just be carrying the external disk between work and home
instead of the laptop.

Cheers,
Dave