[CentOS] Dual Monitor setup on CentOS 6?

Toralf Lund toralf.lund at pgs.com
Fri Mar 30 14:09:59 UTC 2012

On 30/03/12 15:21, Alexandru Chiscan wrote:
> On 03/30/2012 10:55 AM, Toralf Lund wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> Is anyone here running CentOS 6 with dual monitors configured as a
>> single X Screen?
>>
>> I'm trying such a setup on version 5 (again), using NVIDIA TwinView, and
>> it works in many ways, but there are a number of problems that means
>> it's not too usable - the most important one being that there appears to
>> be no way to control which of the displays new applications/windows will
>> appear on. I mean, I don't necessarily need to be able to configure this
>> or anything, but I would at least expect programs to open on the monitor
>> that displaying the menu item or icon or terminal or whatever used for
>> startup, but often they end up on the other one.
> It's the window's manager job to do that using the XINERAMA X extension.
> see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinerama
I knew that. The question is, do they? I mean "they" as in "the window
managers supplied with CentOS 6"...

> For example in centos 6 KDE the window manager redirects the new windows
> in the display that have the mouse in, so if I start an application and
> quickly enough move the mouse to the desired screen, the application
> window displays in that screen.
OK. So kwm or whatever it's called these days does the right thing then.
Unfortunately, I'm using GNOME. I've tried both Metacity and Compiz on
CentOS 5; the former appears to have *some* Xinerama support, but where
it places new windows seems completely arbitrary. Compiz won't even
start - it just tells me that Xinerama is not supported.

Thanks,

- Toralf