[CentOS] Can only login as root

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu May 3 14:31:21 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 09:25:02AM -0400, Tait Clarridge wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 13:47 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > I have a strange problem on a CentOS-5.8 machine.
> > I can only login as root.
> > If I try to login with one of the user's names,
> > it hangs for a long time.
> > I thought it hung forever, but I just found that
> > I do login after "su tim" after 5 minutes.
> >
> > It seems that the problem lies in repeated messages in /var/log/messages

Sounds like another bug that has been around for years.
You may be able to fix this by finding a line--on CentOS 5.x I think
it's in /etc/ldap.conf, that says bind_policy hard.  (It's probably
commented out.)  Uncomment it (by removing the # at the beginning of the
line, if there is a # sign) and change it bind_policy soft.
Then restart ldap if it's running--on 5.8, not sure if it's service
slapd or service ldap.  See if that helps.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Spike: We like to talk big... vampires do. 'I'm going to destroy
the world.' That's just tough-guy talk. Strutting around with
your friends over a pint of blood. The truth is, I _like_ this
world. You've got...dog racing, Manchester United. And you've
got people. Billions of people walking around like Happy Meals
with legs. It's all right here. But then someone comes along
with a vision. With a real... passion for destruction. Angel
could pull it off. Good-bye, Picadilly. Farewell,
Leicester-bloody-Square.