[CentOS] Can only login as root

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri May 4 17:30:25 UTC 2012

Joseph Spenner wrote:

>> I have a strange problem on a CentOS-5.8 machine.
>> I can only login as root.

> How does your /etc/nsswitch.conf look?  Particularly the 'passwd:' line?

Thanks very much.
I see that in /etc/nsswitch.conf I have
--------------------------------
#passwd:    db files nisplus nis
#shadow:    db files nisplus nis
#group:     db files nisplus nis

passwd:     files ldap
shadow:     files ldap
group:      files ldap
--------------------------------

I'll go back to the commented-out version,
and I'm sure that will do the trick.

I'm not sure when I made this change -
I should explain that the computer in question
is my old Dell server, which I stopped using some time ago
as the 2TB disk in it seems sick.
I've resuscitated it to try to get all the data off it.

I was running an openLDAP server on this machine,
and must have edited nsswitch.conf for that.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net