[CentOS] openoffice

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed May 9 12:26:28 UTC 2012

On 05/09/2012 06:31 AM, Jerry Geis wrote:
> Does anyone have an idea about if upstream will be moving to
> Apache openoffice or libreoffice - or just stay at the current
> openoffice and "patch" security items?

I don't have any idea what they will do in the Current releases ... but
they will do one of the 3 things you mention.

They are moving to libreoffice for new versions of Fedora, so that is
the overall direction.  Whether or not they will roll that into the
currently released distros, I don't know.

I would expect that they would move to a libreoffice release for EL6 as
an enhancement as they are still in the early stages of Production Phase
1 on EL6.  They may not move to libreoffice on EL5 as it moves to
Production Phase 2 soon (w/in 6 months).  See this link for details on
the EL LifeCycles for upstream products:

https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/

I would expect RHEA's (enhancements) only in Production Phase 1 of any
release.

But, upstream has done RHEA's in the later production phases for some
releases ... so anything is possible.