[CentOS] Error connecting to KVM on CentOS 6.2

Earl Ramirez

earlaramirez at gmail.com
Sat May 12 08:24:21 UTC 2012

Hello List Mates,

I don't know if here is the right place for this question if it's not I
will appreciate it if you can point me to the right mailing list.

I have successfully installed KVM on my x86_64 laptop, however I am getting
the following error when I try to connect "QEMU" from the Virtual Machine
Manager

Error polling connection 'qemu:///system': internal error Cannot find
suitable emulator for x86_64

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/engine.py", line 440, in _tick
    conn.tick()
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 1414, in
tick
    newNets, self.nets) = self._update_nets()
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 1277, in
_update_nets
    lookup_func, build_class)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 1209, in
_poll_helper
    if not check_support():
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 501, in
is_network_capable
    virtinst.support.SUPPORT_CONN_NETWORK)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/virtinst/support.py", line 574, in
check_conn_support
    return _check_support(conn, feature, conn)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/virtinst/support.py", line 443, in
_check_support
    actual_drv_ver = _hv_ver(conn, uri)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/virtinst/support.py", line 376, in
_hv_ver
    ret = cmd(*args)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 2823, in
getVersion
    if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virConnectGetVersion() failed',
conn=self)
libvirtError: internal error Cannot find suitable emulator for x86_64

I using CentOS 6.2

[user1 at trining ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 6.2 (Final)

Below are the processor that I am using, however I do not see any svm or
vmx flags and there is no option to change anything in the BIOS for the
processor. Does this mean I need to replace my current laptop to get KVM to
work?

[user1 at training ~]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor    : 0
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 6
model        : 23
model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T6400  @ 2.00GHz
stepping    : 10
cpu MHz        : 1200.000
cache size    : 2048 KB
physical id    : 0
siblings    : 2
core id        : 0
cpu cores    : 2
apicid        : 0
initial apicid    : 0
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 13
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor
ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 xsave lahf_lm dts
bogomips    : 3990.12
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor    : 1
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 6
model        : 23
model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T6400  @ 2.00GHz
stepping    : 10
cpu MHz        : 1200.000
cache size    : 2048 KB
physical id    : 0
siblings    : 2
core id        : 1
cpu cores    : 2
apicid        : 1
initial apicid    : 1
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 13
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor
ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 xsave lahf_lm dts
bogomips    : 3990.11
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

I am running the x86-64 version of CentOS 6.2 with the latest updates

[user1 at training ~]$ uname -a
Linux training 2.6.32-220.13.1.el6.x86_64 $1 SMP Tue Apr 17 23:56:34 BST
2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

All the required packages have been installed

[user1 at training ~]$ rpm -qa | grep kvm
qemu-kvm-0.12.1.2-2.209.el6_2.4.x86_64
qemu-kvm-tools-0.12.1.2-2.209.el6_2.4.x86_64
[user1 at training ~]$ rpm -qa | grep virt
virt-v2v-0.8.3-5.el6.x86_64
libvirt-client-0.9.4-23.el6_2.8.x86_64
libvirt-0.9.4-23.el6_2.8.x86_64
virt-who-0.3-3.el6.noarch
virt-manager-0.9.0-7.el6.x86_64
python-virtinst-0.600.0-5.el6.noarch
libvirt-snmp-0.0.2-3.el6.x86_64
virt-viewer-0.4.1-7.el6.x86_64
virt-top-1.0.4-3.11.el6.x86_64
virt-what-1.11-1.1.el6.x86_64
libvirt-python-0.9.4-23.el6_2.8.x86_64
libvirt-java-0.4.7-1.el6.noarch
libvirt-cim-0.5.14-2.el6.x86_64
libvirt-qmf-0.3.0-7.el6_2.x86_64

None of the modules are installed, which I believe is related to the svm
and vmx missing from the processor flags

[user1 at training ~]$ lsmod | grep kvm

[user1 at training ~]$ modprobe kvm

[user1 at training ~]$ lsmod | grep kvm
kvm                   305988  0
[user1 at training ~]$

I have been googling all night everything that I have tried did not
resolved.

Any thoughts?

--
Kind Regards