[CentOS] True bond howto for Centos 6

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Sun May 13 18:43:35 UTC 2012

On 05/13/2012 11:45 AM, aurfalien wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Read many posts on the subject.
>
> Using 802.3ad.
>
> Few problems;
> Cannot ping some hosts on the network, they are all up.
> Cannot resolve via DNS which is one of the hosts that I cannot ping, internal nor external DNS hosts.
> Unplugging the NICS and plugging them back in will then not allow pining if the default d=gateway.
>
> When cold booting it somewhat works, some hosts are pingable while others are not.
>
> When restarting the network service via /etc/init.d/network, nothing is pingable.
>
> Here are my configs;
>
> ifcfg-bond0
> DEVICE=bond0
> USERCTL=no
> BOOTPROTO=none
> ONBOOT=yes
> IPADDR=10.0.0.10
> NETMASK=255.255.0.0
> NETWORK=10.0.0.0
> TYPE=Unknown
> IPV6INIT=no
>
> ifcfg-eth0
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=none
> ONBOOT=yes
> MASTER=bond0
> SLAVE=yes
> USERCTL=no
>
> ifcfg-eth1
> DEVICE=eth1
> BOOTPROTO=none
> ONBOOT=yes
> MASTER=bond0
> SLAVE=yes
> USERCTL=no
>
> /etc/modprob.d/bonding.conf
> alias bond0 bonding
> options bond0 mode=5 miimon=100
>
> Bonding worked great in Centos 5.x, not so well for me in Centos 6.2.
>
> My goal is to get this working under bridging for KVM, I can only imagine the nightmare seeing I can't get a simple bond to work!
>
> Any guidance is golden.
>
> - aurf

I run KVM VMs, built and managed using libvirt, through bonded
interfaces all the time.

I don't have a specific tutorial for this, but I cover all the steps to
build a mode=1 (Active/Passive) bond and then routing VMs through it as
part of a larger tutorial.

Here are the specific sections I think will help you;

https://alteeve.com/w/2-Node_Red_Hat_KVM_Cluster_Tutorial#Network

This section covers building 3 bonds, which you only need one of. In the
tutorial, you only need to care about the "IFN" bond and bridge (bond2 +
vbr2).

https://alteeve.com/w/2-Node_Red_Hat_KVM_Cluster_Tutorial#Provisioning_vm0001-dev

This covers all the steps used in the 'virt-install' call to provision
the VMs, which includes telling them to use the bridge.

Hope that helps.

--
Digimer