[CentOS] VPN Traffic

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Tue May 15 15:17:50 UTC 2012

On 15/05/2012 16:10, Shiv. NK wrote:

>> Can you provide a somewhat less generic term for "the VPN traffic"?
>>
>> If the VPN has an interface, then you can monitor this like you monitor
>> any other interface, yes with Nagios / Cacti and the like...
>>
> Dear Glies,
>
> Thanks for the information sent. VPN is between two Cisco routers. using
> SNMP, it is possible to monitor the interface traffic for a snmp enabled
> device through Zabbix/Cacti. But cannot differentiate between the the kind
> of traffic.
>
> Saying other way, there is internet traffic on the same interface part
> from VPN consumption. I am searching for a specific tool if exists, that
> can differentiate the kind of traffic and graph separately.

If you were using tunnel interfaces on Cisco routers then you can
monitor these with SNMP just like any interface. If you're using the nat
classifier (it appears that you are) on an existing interface you would
need to find a different SNMP OID for this, and I don't know whether it
exists. I'd suggest asking in the Cisco-NSP mailing list.
Failing that, if you export Netflow to a collector then you may be able
to get good information on a flow (ip src :src port <-->  ip dst: dst
port) basis and you can identify your VPN traffic by source and
destination addresses. Might be overkill, but it is good for getting all
kinds of information.