[CentOS] cpuspeed causing high load average?

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.co.uk
Wed May 16 09:03:51 UTC 2012

In article <4FB3628A.4050300 at karan.org>,
Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 05/15/2012 01:05 PM, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> > Eventually I found that stopping the "cpuspeed" subsystem allowed the
> > load average to drop down to near zero, as I would expect it to be.
>
> and what impact did that have on your power consumption ? And did it
> make a difference to the performance of the machine ?

It's too early to say, since it is a new box that I am just setting up.
I would expect it to consume a little more power, since the CPU will be
running at full speed, but to perform better.

Since it will be a high-traffic SIP server running Asterisk, I expect
running cpuspeed would be a bit pointless anyway.

But that wasn't my main point, which was why cpuspeed should cause an
abnormally high load average on this system.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield