[CentOS] Centos 6 - Networking: Some Queries

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon May 21 13:26:30 UTC 2012

Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

> NetworkManager does not (as far as I know) use ifcfg files unless you
> select "Available for all users" checkbox, but rather keeps interface
> data somewhere inside $HOME directory (.gconf subdirectory maybe) in
> unreadable format for humans.

Is this true?
I have the impression that NM takes note of NM_MANAGED=yes or no
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 (or whatever).
So I assume from this that NM must read these files.

I wish someone would document NM,
explaining what files it consults,
and something about how it is supposed to function.

In my experience NM works fine 95% of the time;
but when it does not work it is often very difficult
to work out exactly where the problem lies.
In particular the entries in /var/log/messages
are completely useless.

Another annoyance is that the network service
seems to have got tangled up with NM, at least in Fedora-16;
they used to be more or less independent.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net