[CentOS] [OT] Cannot boot into GUI after Video Driver is Installed

Earl Ramirez earlaramirez at gmail.com
Mon May 21 14:57:47 UTC 2012

On 21 May 2012 10:06, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Earl Ramirez wrote:
> > Good Day,
> >
> > I am not 100% certain if here is the right place to bring this up,
> however
> > if this is the wrong place for this please redirect me to right place.
> >
> > A few weeks ago I was trying to install KVM on my laptop, I bought a new
> > laptop and immediately after I install the nVidia drivers I receive the
> > following error "libfcoe_device_notification: NETDEV_UNREGISTER lo"
> >
> > I spent several hours googling the error and there are several issues,
> > however none of them are related to my situation.
> >
> > I am running CentOS 6.2
> <snip>
> You say that you deleted xorg.conf, and could then boot into runlevel 5
> using the default drivers. If you do an lsmod, does it show nouveau?
>
> When I do lsmod I see nvidia
 i2c_core               31276  7
videodev,i2c_i801,nvidia,i915,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_algo_bit
video                  21032  1 i915
output                  2505  1 video

> Second question: does the version of kmod-nvidia support your graphics
> card?

This is interesting now that you mention it, the sticker on the laptops
says "nvidia GEFORCE GT 635M 2GB" and when I run lspci I see the following.
 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF106 [GeForce GT
555M] (rev a1).

I verified that nvidia 635M is supported on the nvidia site.
Version:295.53 CertifiedRelease Date:2012.05.16Operating System:Linux
Language:English (U.S.)File Size:33.1 MB

[image: Download]<http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload-March2009/confirmation.php?url=/XFree86/Linux-x86/295.53/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-295.53.run&lang=us&type=GeForce>

Release Highlights
Supported products
Additional information

   - Added support for the following GPUs:
      GeForce GTX 670
      GeForce 605
      GeForce GT 610
      GeForce GT 630
      GeForce GT 640
      GeForce GT 645
   - Fixed a bug affecting some G-Sync configurations which could cause
   active stereo content to be inverted on some display devices.

 I checked all the supported drivers and I also see the version from the
output from lspci which is supported as well
*GeForce 600 series:*
GTX 690, GTX 680, GTX 670, GT 645, GT 640, GT 630, GT 620, GT 610, 605

*GeForce 600M series:*
GT 635M, GT 630M, G610M

*GeForce 500 series:*
GTX 590, GTX 580, GTX 570, GTX 560 Ti, GTX 560, GTX 550 Ti, GT 545, GT 530,
GT 520, 510

*GeForce 500M series:*
GTX 580M, GTX 570M, GTX 560M, GT 555M, GT 550M, GT 540M, GT 525M, GT 520MX,
GT 520M

*GeForce 400 series:*
GTX 480, GTX 470, GTX 465, GTX 460 SE v2, GTX 460 SE, GTX 460, GTS 450, GT
440, GT 430, GT 420, 405

> Oh, and did you yum install it, so that you got nvidia-x11-drv?
>
> I installed it using yum.

>        mark, who just noticed that he's got that, *and*
> nvidia-x11-drv-32bit,
>                 on his x86_64 system for some reason....

 The correct version is x86_64
[wildfire at wildfire ~]$ rpm -qa | grep nvidia
nvidia-x11-drv-295.53-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-295.53-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64
[wildfire at wildfire ~]$

I don't know if this will shed any light but usually before you see the
login screen you will see nvidia once it have been installed correctly,
however I am see intel which is strange.

Kind Regards
Earl Ramirez