[CentOS] Tomcat5 with Oracle/Sun jdk on CentOS 5.8

James Pifer

jep at obrien-pifer.com
Mon May 21 15:02:00 UTC 2012

I know this question could be asked on tomcat or possibly other mailing
lists, but I'm hoping I can get some help here instead of joining yet
another list.

I'm running tomcat5 on CentOS 5.8. I'm trying to setup Oracle/Sun java
rather than icedtea. I've installed the latest jdk 1.7 and setup
alternatives on centos for java and javac:

# java -version
java version "1.7.0_03"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 22.1-b02, mixed mode)

I've also set /etc/tomcat5/tomcat5.conf to point JAVA_HOME to this jdk.

When I try to start tomcat5 I get:

Starting tomcat5: /usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Could not find jdbc-stdext Java extension for this JVM
/usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Could not find jndi Java extension for this JVM
/usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Some detected jars were not found for this jvm
/usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Could not find jaas Java extension for this JVM
/usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Some detected jars were not found for this jvm
                                                           [  OK  ]
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/share/tomcat5
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/share/tomcat5
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat5/temp
Using JRE_HOME:
/usr/bin/dtomcat5: line 343: /usr/lib/jvm/java/bin/java: No such file or directory
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/share/tomcat5
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/share/tomcat5
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat5/temp
Using JRE_HOME:
/usr/bin/dtomcat5: line 321: /usr/lib/jvm/java/bin/java: No such file or directory

I've been searching google all morning and haven't found a solution. I'd
be willing to try jdk 1.5 or 1.6 if that is the fix, but I'm doubting
that's the fix.

I'm also not sure where tomcat5 set JRE_HOME. Been searching and can't
find it.

Anyone here know how to resolve this?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,