[CentOS] Repositories in CentOS 5.8

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue May 22 18:04:43 UTC 2012

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Kaushal Shriyan
> <kaushalshriyan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am running Cent OS 5.8 in production. Can someone please explain me
>> about various repositories available in CentOS 5.8 and which third
party repos
>> (http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories) i should use it
>> in Production environment.
>>
>> Help me understand the pros and cons.
>
> Usually you decide what packages that aren't included in the base
> distribution that you need, and then pick the repository that has them
> instead of the other way around.   However EPEL is generally the first
> place to look and since it has a policy of not overwriting base
> packages there is not much risk in using it.
<snip>
The other one we use is rpmfusion, both free and non-free. They're stable
and compatible with the base CentOS repos.

For workstations with nvidia, who want two monitors, I'm slowly moving
from rebuilding the proprietary library from nvidia to elrepo's
kmod-nvidia, although I believe I heard that it's going to move to the
base library real soon now....

       mark