[CentOS] CentOS in the world

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed May 23 00:10:52 UTC 2012

On 05/22/2012 06:57 PM, Digimer wrote:
> On 05/22/2012 07:16 PM, Muhammad A. Fatahna wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Now, i still analyse about CentOS user, how to know the amount of
>> centos users around the world that can be get a result CentOS
>> percentage of all distributions.
>> thank you very much
> There is no central recording of who uses what distributions. For this
> reason, accurate numbers are impossible to get. Some projects try to
> track by asking people to volunteer their usage info, but these are
> hardly scientific and are likely highly inaccurate.
>
> The best you can say is that CentOS is extremely popular and is one of
> the most commonly used distribution in the server world. Whether it is
> more or less popular than Debian, Ubuntu LTS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> proper... No one can really say.

Well, these guys measure specifically webserver usage on the top websites:

http://w3techs.com/technologies/history_details/os-linux

We were #1, now we are #2 behind Debian.

BUT ... this does not show cpanel and plesk installs as they us custom
httpd that does not identify them as CentOS.

It is also web servers and does not include other things in the enterprise.