[CentOS] Centos 6 - vnc - authentication is required to set the network proxy used for downloading packages

John Stanley john.stanley at elslc.com
Wed May 23 08:25:50 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-05-22 at 23:24 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2012 23:11:43 -0600
> Frank Cox wrote:
>
> > So what am I missing?

Best way I found was to remove PackageKit and all its packages (Desktops
it causes a major user whine and loads of complaints).

> I think I've found it.  I ran gnome-session-properties and un-checked PackageKit
> Update Applet

That'll work also but for that one user account

> I just restarted vncserver and this time I don't have that annoying window
> popping up on my remote desktop.  So it appears that's the fix.

Also yes packagekitd is a binary but controled by DBUS.  I think that is
just silly because it has no service command to stop it.  Stopping
'dbus' should take care of it but then you will prolly be stopping
really needed things.

John