[CentOS] Repositories in CentOS 5.8

Thu May 24 13:33:25 UTC 2012

Kaushal Shriyan wrote on 05/23/2012 09:22 PM:
> Thanks for the explanation. Please help me understand when i install CentOS
> 5.8 on a fresh server, what are the available repositories by default and
> if i need any packages which are not there in the default repos, Do i need
> to enable third party repositories.

On a fresh install only CentOS repositories are installed, and only a
subset of those ([base] [updates] [extras]) is enabled.  Only you can
determine if you need 3rd party repos and if so which.

If you need help determining which repos fit your needs, beyond the
information on the Wiki repositories pages and links supplied there,
then ask on this list or other support venues, such as IRC or fora.  The
better you can explain what you need, and why core packages do not meet
those needs, the better advice you might expect as to what 3rd party
repos and packages may fulfill your requirements.

Phil