[CentOS] biggest disk partition on 5.8?

Peter Kjellström cap at nsc.liu.se
Fri May 25 10:36:02 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 23 May 2012 14.23.31 Alan McKay wrote:
> Hey folks,
> I used 'arcconf' to create a big RAID60 out of (see below).
>
> But then I mount it and it is way too small
> This should be about 20TB :
> /dev/sdb1             186G   60M  176G   1% /mnt/J4400-1
> Here is how I created it :
>
> ./arcconf create 1 logicaldrive name J4400-1-RAID60 max 60 0 0 0 1 0 2
> Make 1 big partition :
>
> sfdisk /dev/sdb <<EOF
> ,,L
> EOF

This is the problem, various filesystems issues are irrelevant. sfdisk only
uses "the old" msdos type partition table and this does not support >2T
devices. It is unfortunate that it lacks proper error checking and warnings...

You should do one of:

 1) don't use partitioning (mkfs directly on /dev/sdb)
 2) use LVM (pvcreate /dev/sdb ...)
 3) use a GPT type partition table (parted /dev/sdb or similar)

After this you'll have to tackle the current 16T limit for ext4 and other
filesystem related oddities..

/Peter