[CentOS] Upgrading FC2 to CentOS 5.* - anyone second this?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 30 18:36:21 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Max Pyziur <pyz at brama.com> wrote:

> Here is what I wrote:
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2012-May/126307.html
>
> "... It's a test machine that replicates a production server. ..."
>
> How would you improve it in order to remedy the apparent confusion?

But in an earlier post you said it was a 'server environment' which at
least sort-of implies that it is serving something.

> I appreciate your and others' efforts at advice. I'm simply trying to use
> existing hardware (that's the eco-friendly approach), and trying to build
> my understanding of the Fedora/CentOS operational relationships.

Fedora doesn't support/recommend in-place upgrades across major
versions or at least didn't for those versions.  My experience was
that even within a major rev. an update could kill your system.
CentOS doesn't support/recommend  in-place upgrades across major
versions.

> Given
> that it has been stated that CentOS 5.x was built from FC6, and that
> someone had already offered general guidance on the upgrade procedure (I
> shared the link in my initial request), I thought that it would be
> worthwhile asking the CentOS-users list to see if someone from this
> community had any direct experience with the upgrade. I'm not yet looking
> for a recommendation for a clean install.

I have seen success stories for FC6->CentOS conversions, along with
some quirky stuff you have to to to fix it up.  If you google enough
you might be able to do that.  However, FC2 was not at all like FC6
and I doubt if you'll find anyone who has made that or even a part of
the FC2->FC6 path work.   It would be crazy to try that without good
backups.  But if you have a place for the backups, you could use it
instead to install and test a system that will work.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com